Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sour Dough Starter: Day 3

Today is the final day of babysitting the starter. When I opened the cupboard today, I knew that it was ready because the smell of sourdough hit my nose. Trust me, it isn't a bad smell. Sourdough sounds like it would have a really bad smell, but it's not. With time and the right care, the sourdough will develop even more and have an even more full bodied flavor.

When I lifted up the towel, I wasn't disappointed. It was very foamy. 

My first look through the plastic wrap

 You can see the bubbles and foam

 
 This is super close so that you can see the foam

 
 I stirred it up really well and poured it in an air-tight jar  

Now I wait until a clear liquid has risen to the top. When this happens, it is ready to use.

From here it goes into the refrigerator. It can be stored indefinitely if you "feed" it every week. Just add 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar and stir very well.

I will be making the Black Bread soon, and I will also post several more sourdough recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment