Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Favorite Afternoon Snack

I remember the first time I had a frozen banana. It was 1970, I was 16, and I was at Disneyland for the first time. I was on vacation with my family (2 parents, 7 kids) and my boyfriend, (now my hubby for 37+years) and my grandpa. That was way back in the olden days when you were given a book of tickets, A-E, and you had to choose which rides you wanted to use them on. You couldn't go on everything. We were there in the middle of August, the absolute hottest time of the year, you know, the kind of heat where your clothes are sticking to you, and if you pull them down, they don't want to come back up! I think you know what I mean, ladies!

As we wandered through the park, it seemed like everyone had a chocolate covered banana sprinkled with nuts in their hands, and they were really enjoying them! It was the first time I had seen one, and did I ever want one! My grandpa bought us one and I thought that it was the best thing I had ever eaten, especially because it was so hot! For years after that, my mom made them for us. It was only half of a banana and it didn't have any nuts, but it was great!

I still love them and for several years, I bought Trader Joe's Frozen Bananas. They are great, but now I just make this snack because it is so easy, and I do mean easy! If you are a fan of frozen banana's and peanut butter, you will love these.

First you take a banana and cut the stem off. Then you make a slit right through the middle of it, but don't slice all the way through. Pry it open a little bit and then with a small knife or a spreader, tuck some peanut butter inside the slit. You can add as much or as little as you want. I prefer fresh ground unsalted crunchy peanut butter from my local Sprout's Market.



Now you can remove the peel very carefully, trying not to split the banana apart. Now you are ready to wrap the banana in plastic wrap.

Now you place it in the freezer for an hour or two. When you are ready for your snack, just remove from the freezer, unwrap it and cut it into round slices.
They are ready to eat!

I like to make up several at a time, so that I always have one available. When the banana is frozen, the texture becomes very creamy, like ice cream, only much better for you! I call them Banana Bon Bon's.

No comments:

Post a Comment