Thursday, March 18, 2010

Birthday Monkey's

There was a big party planned for Ivan's first birthday, with friends, family and kids! Unfortunately, Ivan came down with an ear infection and we had to cancel his party. Before the party was canceled, I had already made the treats for the kids.

Monkey Cupcakes!

I thought they were really cute.

I got the idea from this cookbook, The Cupcake Doctor.  They were banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. I heard that they were very good!


Fortunately, these monkeys found a home. I put them in treat bags and Wiley and his mom delivered them to their friends.


The cake for the adults was already baked also, so I quickly assembled it and sent it away to a new home. The cake was called Best Ever Banana Cake.  and I frosted it with Whipped Cream Frosting. For the whipped cream frosting, I add the teaspoon of unflavored gelatin to 1 tablespoon of warm water and stir until dissolved. I then pour that mixture into the un-whipped cream and start mixing it on medium speed. This has worked perfectly every time.

I split the cake in half horizontally, creating two layers. I covered the bottom layer with Coronado Cajeta Quemada, and then a layer of sliced bananas topped with whipped cream frosting. I then replaced the top layer and covered the top and sides with remaining whipped cream frosting. I added the bananas on top as the finishing touch.

Yes, I do realize that the bananas were unevenly cut and some of the were turning brown, even though they had all been dipped in lemon juice. But I was in a hurry. I usually take my time and put the whipped cream frosting in an icing bag with a great tip, and make it look much better than this one. Even though it didn't look very special, I got some great reviews on this cake!

This is now my go-to Banana Cake recipe! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment