Thursday, April 21, 2011

Macaroons

I was paging through my People magazine this week and I came across a recipe for macaroons. I remember making macaroons once years ago and considered them too sweet and never made them again. I don't remember eating one since that experience. Even so, I decided that I was going to give this recipe a try, especially with Easter days away. 

Wiley came over to spend the afternoon with me and he loves to "cook" and was very eager to help me make them after he saw the picture. We had fun making them and, of course, Wiley really wanted to eat one right then, but this gramma likes to let mommy decide when/if they get treats, especially when it is close to dinner time. We packed half of them up and headed back to Wiley's house.

We arrived at Christy's house with our special package around dinner time. I'm not sure how it happens, but when my daughter and I are together with the boys, it is almost impossible to carry on a conversation because the boys want gramma's attention. Undivided attention! They always have something to show me or want me to do with them. That leaves us with half-finished sentences and thoughts most of the time. As I was ready to leave, I realized we were actually carrying on an adult conversation. That was unusual and the boys were very quiet and someplace else. One guess! Ivan had climbed up onto the counter and was covered in melted chocolate and coconut! Wiley was also in the kitchen working on a project that needed mommy's help. That is the price we pay for an adult conversation!

These macaroons really are amazing and not what I was expecting at all. I finally broke down and tried one a day later and understood why everyone had said they were so amazing! I'm thinking that the addition of sour cream cuts down the super sweet taste that I was expecting. If you have found macaroons too sweet like me, you should try this recipe.

Jill Zarin's Macaroons from People magazine, April 18, 2011 issue.

                               

Macaroons

       

coconut, chocolate, Mexican vanilla,

       

        See Macaroons on Key Ingredient.    

   


As I was cleaning up our mess, I happened to notice that Wiley had scrawled all across the recipe page. I asked him about it and he said, "I wrote you a note, gramma!"

  It says, "I love you, gramma"!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment