Friday, June 18, 2010

Cherry Balsamic Vinegar

I recently saw a post on The Kitchen that caught my eye. It was for "Improvisational Cherry Vinegar." It has been several years since I made a flavored vinegar, and I have never flavored a balsamic vinegar, so I was up for the challenge. 

I improvised a bit because I chose to use Trader Joe's White Balsamic Vinegar, rather than the darker version. 


 I had some in my pantry and I really want to see the beautiful red color from the cherries come through. I hope it does, but I realize that sitting for the next couple of weeks will probably produce a darker color that I am picturing in my head!


It was very easy to put together, but I made it harder. I pitted and smashed the cherries, which was completely unnecessary. I should have just smashed them up. The original post says to put in the stems, pits and smashed cherries. I decided to leave the stems out, but I piled in the pits and cherries, about a cup and a half. 


I put everything in a glass container with a lid, so that I can keep the fruit flies away. The post said to cover the cherries plus 2 inches with the vinegar, which used most of the 17 ounce bottle. I have about an inch left in my bottle. 

I have it tucked away on a shelf and I plan to check it out every week or so to see how the flavor is developing. I will let you know when it is ready to use. I'm looking forward to making a nice cherry vinaigrette to pour over a delicious summer salad.

Cherry Balsamic Vinegar

White Balsamic Vinegar infused with fresh cherries.

See Cherry Balsamic Vinegar on Key Ingredient.


I'm expecting to enjoy this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment