Friday, March 12, 2010

We've come a long way, Baby!

It's about time!

Today I read an amazing article about a group of highly-skilled and brave women that were finally honored yesterday for their accomplishments as pilots during World War II. This article was printed in the Press-Telegram this morning and I hope you will take the time to read this very short article. You will find the link below. I'm quoting the opening paragraph:

"They flew planes during World War II but weren't considered "real" pilots. No flags were draped over their coffins when they died on duty. And when their service ended, they had to pay their own bus fare home."

This article is about a group of women who were "in service" during WWII, but were not recognized because they were women! They were World War II, Army Air Corp, WASP's (Women Airforce Service Pilots). They flew planes into combat zones and those that were killed in service to this country were considered "civilians," and had none of the benefits given to the men. These women are now in their 80's and 90's and yesterday they were awarded with congress' highest civilian honor.

Believe me when I say this is a compelling story. It choked me up as I read about these amazing women. I really hope you check it out. It will only take a few minutes to read.

http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_14648739?IADID=Search-www.presstelegram.com-www.presstelegram.com

No comments:

Post a Comment