Thursday, July 7, 2011

Wiley's Birthday Party

Wiley almost wiggled out of his skin as he waited for the real party to get started! In a 4 year-olds life, who needs dinner when there is birthday cake and presents waiting. Well actually, who needs anything at all when there are presents waiting to be opened. We decided to have cake before presents, so I started bringing out the treats.

Chocolate pudding shots and Clementine cupcakes
Brownie pops
Raspberry and Blueberry cupcakes
A little whipped cream frosting on his elbow
No problem, he ate it!
Going in for more!
 Watching the candles being lit
It's almost time...
...for the happy birthday song
Yummy strawberry
Loving his song
Candles are out
The cake is calling his name - Wiley, touch me!
What's taking so long?
Rearranging the cake while we sing a third time - for a video
Time for a brownie pop...
...and a cupcake and a piece of cake
After a lick and a raspberry he is finished with his treats
Hugging gramma and thanking me for the party and the treats I made - so sweet!

For the cake and cupcakes I used my favorite recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, "More from Magnolia." I know that vanilla sounds rather dull to some people, but I have made this recipe several times and everyone that tries it, loves it! It turns out perfect every time. I made one recipe, filled my silicone cupcake cups and put the remaining batter into two 8-inch cake pans. 


To dress up the cake, I made Microwave Lemon Curd and spread it between the cake layers and on top of the cake before I frosted with whipped cream frosting. I was amazed at how good the curd turned out. I will admit, my expectations were low, using a microwave, but I will definitely make this again. There is no reason to stand over the stove stirring for 30 minutes again!


For the brownies and brownie pops, I used a recipe from Dessert First that I found on foodnetwork.com. The recipe for the brownies is near the bottom of the page. I split the pan of brownies, cutting half into brownies and I used the rest for the brownie pops. I coated the pops with melted white chocolate and added sprinkles.

More pictures of Wiley's party for Gramma Barb and Grandpa Mike tomorrow! It wasn't the same without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment