Wednesday, April 27, 2011

White Bean and Ham Soup

We served a spiral cut ham for Easter lunch and my dear hubby suggested that maybe a pot of soup would be a way to put the ham bone to a good use. That sounded like a great idea, so I started searching for recipes. I found this recipe at Simply Recipes, one of my favorite sources for recipes that never fail to impress me. 

This recipe has two steps and each step simmers for an hour so it doesn't take too long. I chose to let the pot simmer for about 4 hours because I had the afternoon free. Dear hubby had taken just about every possible piece of meat off of the bone before I threw it in the soup pot. No worries, he had a container of ham strips ready for me to add near the end. That's just the way he takes care of business.

You can find the recipe I used right here.



I have made many bean soups in my cooking life, but this just might be our very favorite yet! The beans were incredibly creamy yet firm enough to hold their shape. I am wondering if it is due to the way the Great Northern beans were cooked. I don't remember ever cooking dry beans in the way the recipe stated. You bring water to a boil, turn off the heat and add the beans, soaking them for 2 hours. If you like bean soup, give this recipe a try. 

As Wiley would say, "This is yummy, gramma."

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment