Thursday, April 7, 2011

Birthday Dinner: Two Potato Gratin

What is meat without a little potato? I guess a little lonely!?! I started out with a plan to make individual potato gratins but changed my mind when I realized that our dinner plates weren't completely flat. I didn't want it to spread all over the plate as it was served, so I ended up turning it into sweet potato and russet potato gratin/casserole. 

 
Everyone loved everything about this dish and especially the great flavor. To me, the problem was my decision to slice the potatoes hours before and hold them in cold water helped with time management, but it backfired on me. I didn't think about the fact that a good share of the starch would be thrown out with the water and would keep them from setting up like I was expecting. I hope this information helps someone else, like you!

I will definitely make these again. The French thyme really made a great subtle flavor experience. The recipe follows.


                                  

Two Potato Gratin

         

Russet Potatoes, Red Garnet Yams, Gruyere, French Thyme

         

        See Two Potato Gratin on Key Ingredient.     

    

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment