Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cherry Rhubarb Jam

When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. I am a huge fan of rhubarb and especially paired with cherries. There are plenty of recipes for rhubarb with strawberries but I don't come across that many recipes with cherries. This recipe intrigued me because is uses cherry gelatin and cherry pie filling. I immediately thought that if this turned out well, there would be unlimited combinations you could make with different flavors of gelatin and pie fillings. 

The rhubarb and sugar need to sit for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. This allows time for the juices to release from the fruit. Next you need to bring the mixture to a light boil until the rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes.

 This picture shows how much liquid the sugar brought out of the rhubarb

Next you take it off the heat and add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. The final step is adding the cherry filling and the flavoring. This recipe doesn't call for a water bath to seal the jars. You let it sit on the counter until it cools and then you can store it in the fridge for 3 weeks. I decided to make a half recipe which made 2-1/2 cups. This recipe can easily be doubled to make 5 cups. It would use a small package of cherry gelatin.


If you have wanted to make jam but it seemed to complicated, time consuming and the thought of trying to seal jars in a water bath scares you, this is the recipe you should try. This is the most foolproof jam recipe that I have ever made. You will be so happy with how good it is, you will want to make another batch to share with all your friends and neighbors!

 Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. Now we need to figure out how to make it without using packaged pie filling. We've got all those great frozen cherries from our trees -- and more likely to come this year. Hmm... we'll have to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete