Monday, May 24, 2010

Buttermilk Brown Sugar Snack Cake with Cherry Rhubarb Swirl

I decided I wanted to make a small snack cake with a swirl of the homemade cherry rhubarb jam on top. Looking through the refrigerator, I saw that I had some buttermilk that was a couple of days away from it's expiration date, so I started searching for buttermilk snack cake recipes. I couldn't find much to work with, so I took a basic buttermilk cake recipe and tried to turn it into a snack cake.

I knew I wanted to use whole wheat pastry flour and brown sugar along with the buttermilk. Add to that, baking soda, baking powder, butter and an egg and you have a cake. And of course, vanilla, you can't forget that. I prepared the pan and baked it for about 23-24 minutes. It turned out very moist and tender and I like the swirl.

Actually, that doesn't look like swirls, does it? It looks more like twirls!
I need a little more practice on the swirls.

My dear hubby fixed this for our dinner:
 

Fresh grilled Wild King Salmon, served with a fantastic salad with a white balsamic dressing, almonds, cranberries and feta cheese. It was the best salmon we have had since last spring when the Copper River Salmon were available. It was so good, I couldn't stop saying "That was so good!"

So after dinner I served him this:

 Dear hubby loved it!
We were both happy!

There is something about that Cherry Rhubarb Jam. Everyone that tastes it can't believe how good it is. If there is any left, I think I will find other things to add it to like scones or muffins.

Now I am going to go and have one bite of that cake, just so I can say I tried it.

Buttermilk Brown Sugar Snack Cake

A tender snack cake made with whole wheat pastry flour.

See Buttermilk Brown Sugar Snack Cake on Key Ingredient.

 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The cake looks wonderful, Coni. This is my first visit to your blog. I had planned only to say hello, but, instead, began to read your prior post. I stayed far longer than I planned. I really like your recipes and your blog is most welcoming. I hope to visit often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete