Thursday, April 8, 2010

Whole Wheat Penne with Ham and Four Cheeses

We provided the ham at our Easter celebration and I have to say, it was very tasty. My hubby worked his meat magic and I hardly realized that it was ham. My hubby divided the ham between the three families, but we still had a lot of ham left. What to do with the left over ham? Hmm... I'm just not that big on ham, once a year for Easter is enough for me, so I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I thought about scalloped potatoes and ham, but that sounded like a lot of work and really starchy with all the potatoes. I finally decided to make a baked dish that we could eat on for two meals and freeze the rest. I'm all about cooking once and eating at least twice!

I started search the cupboards to see what I had to work with and I was really glad to see that I had a bag of whole wheat penne in my pantry. My search ended there, and I cooked it al dente, and to that I added a three cheese sauce and about 3 cups of huge chunks of ham. I wanted to add fresh broccoli, but that would have been a trip to the store, and with on-going road construction, it takes about 15 minutes just getting out of our neighborhood. I didn't have that much extra time, so frozen peas from the freezer had to work. I mixed it together and put it in a 9x13 pan and baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

Hubby was late, so I turned the oven to 275 and kept it in for another 20+ minutes. I should have just taken it out and covered it with foil and left it on the stove top. Oh well, it was still good. Hubby loved it, because he loves casseroles and I rarely make them, so he was happy! Add a salad and dinner was ready. I'm posting it here so I remember next year what to do with that leftover ham. Sorry Hubby, you will have to wait another year for a casserole, too.


Whole Wheat Penne with Ham and Four Cheeses

My attempt at using leftover Easter ham.

See Whole Wheat Penne with Ham and Four Cheeses on Key Ingredient.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment