Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Strawberry Angel Cake

Here is another recipe that I made for our Easter dinner. I wanted to make something light and fresh so I decided to make an angel food cake. I think that once, years ago I made an angel food cake from scratch, and it isn't hard, but it does take a lot of egg whites. I don't like having all of those egg yolks left over. I very rarely make anything from a box, but angel food cake is definitely one of my exceptions. I have found that the angel food cake mixes work perfect, and they are so easy and quick. I like to  doctor them up and add something extra to the batter. For this cake, I added one teaspoon of coconut extract, and baked the cake according to the box instructions.

After the cake was completely cool, I cut it in half, giving an extra inch on the bottom. I then scooped out the center of the bottom and filled it with a mixture of cream cheese, whip cream and diced strawberries. I then put the top back on and frosted it with the remaining whipped cream. I only add two tablespoons of vanilla sugar. I don't like to sweeten the cream or add too much vanilla, so the vanilla sugar is perfect. The strawberries were so sweet, it was the only sweetness the dessert needed.

The finished product!

Other suggestions on how to doctor up a box of angel food cake.
  • Add grated lemon, orange or lime rind, or all three for a great fresh taste
  • add any flavor extract; i.e., almond, cherry, peppermint, orange, lemon, lime, praline, caramel
  • add 1/4 cup of cocoa and an extra tablespoon of water
  • add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or shaved bittersweet chocolate

Strawberry Angel Cake

A dressed up angel food cake.

See Strawberry Angel Cake on Key Ingredient.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! We had angelfood cake from a box for Easter, too!! With strawberries!! Great minds....

    We all had the same conversation about how easy and good box angelfood cake mixes are these days. I just finished the last slice of cake last night. Sad... =(

    Love you, Mom!!

    ReplyDelete