Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Old Recipe Box



I'm guessing that not many of the new cooks have an old recipe box. It goes way back to the olden days when recipes weren't as available as they are now. Computers are great. We can quickly google and find a recipe we need in a flash. But, sometimes it's just fun to drag out the old recipe box and pull out a recipe written on an old fashioned recipe card. Every time I do, it is a trip down memory lane. Most of my card are stained with drips and specks, after years of use. Now more than ever, I appreciate the time each person took to write out the card specifically for me. It always brings back a good memory about a family member or a special friend and maybe a meal we shared or a baby shower we were at together.

In my recipe box, the majority of my cards have -  Recipe From: Mom.  I learned from my mom, how to cook as I was growing up, so when I got married and started my own family, I basically cooked what and how my mom had cooked for all 9 of us. The first time I made a pot roast with gravy for my new husband back in 1972, he looked in the dutch oven and said "What are we going to do with all that gravy"? It actually took me a while before I was able to cook for only 2 people. I'm posting these recipes in honor of my mom for all the food she cooked for us during the 50's, 60's and 70's. These are also for her kids, grandkids and great-grand kids to enjoy.

Cherokee Casserole

This was a family favorite for many years

See Cherokee Casserole on Key Ingredient.



Pineapple Meatballs

A family favorite

See Pineapple Meatballs on Key Ingredient.



Easy Barbeque Sauce

This turned leftover Sunday pot roast into yummy sandwiches.

See Easy Barbeque Sauce on Key Ingredient.



Chocolate Pudding

This is the chocolate pudding recipe that mom used to ...

See Chocolate Pudding on Key Ingredient.



Lemon Sauce

This was the lemon sauce mom made to pour over ...

See Lemon Sauce on Key Ingredient.



Cowboy Cookies

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

See Cowboy Cookies on Key Ingredient.



Cottage Cheese Cookies

These were a favorite at Christmas.

See Cottage Cheese Cookies on Key Ingredient.



Caramel Corn

See Caramel Corn on Key Ingredient.



Hot Pepper Catsup

Salad Dressing

See Hot Pepper Catsup on Key Ingredient.



Divinity

Candy

See Divinity on Key Ingredient.



Lime Party Salad

Jello

See Lime Party Salad on Key Ingredient.



Cherry Jumbles

Cookie bars

See Cherry Jumbles on Key Ingredient.



Cream Fruit Dessert

Layered Dessert

See Cream Fruit Dessert on Key Ingredient.



Lemon Chicken

A great crock pot entree

See Lemon Chicken on Key Ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment