Monday, December 6, 2010

Chewy Oatmeal Cut-Out Cookies

I knew it would be my last chance to use my fall cookie cutters. After Thanksgiving, it is everything Christmas. Besides, I really wanted to make cut-out cookies for the kids, especially the squirrels. They were so cute! It was the night before Thanksgiving and I had been cooking all day, but I really wanted to make them so the kids would have their own special little after dinner treat. I was especially excited to make them because they were a little bit healthier than most cut-out cookies with the whole wheat flour and oatmeal.

Dear hubby tried and tried to talk me out of starting a new project at 10:30p.m., but I thought I would have them made and be in bed before 11:30. Why is it that when we really want to do something, it always takes twice as long as we think it will to get it done?? Well, after I had the dough mixed and was ready to roll and cut, I noticed that the recipe said "Refrigerate for 30 minutes." They were a little damp and I knew they would be sticking to the rolling pin, so what could I do. When I saw the big hand on 9 and the little hand on 10, that last thing I wanted to do was wait an extra 30 minutes, but I did it.

I'm pointing this out to you in case you decide to make these cookies late one night, say Christmas Eve, and you have guests coming the next morning! I made it to bed before 12:30. The best part was, I got to wake my dear hubby up and tell him "Happy Anniversary!" I cut and baked half of the dough that night and put the other disc into the freezer to bake later with my Christmas cookie cutters.

Today, I pulled the cookie dough out of the freezer and let it sit for about 45 minutes, until it was pliable and easy to work with. I cut and baked them and oh, the smells that filled the house. I'm not much of a cookie decorator, but I thought these turned out cute.



This recipe is adapted from King Arthur's Whole Grain Cookbook.

                                  

Chewy Oatmeal Cut-Out Cookies

         

Oatmeal, Cookies, Cut-out,

         

        See Chewy Oatmeal Cut-Out Cookies on Key Ingredient.     

    


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment