Thursday, November 18, 2010

Savory Bread with Sweet Butter for a Harvest Lunch

Recently, we were invited to a harvest lunch at my niece's house. When I asked if I could bring something, her suggestion was a bread to go with the soups that were being served. At first I thought that's easy, we will pick up a loaf of bread on the way there. My next thought was, I will make some bread. In fact, I will make a savory quick bread. I had read an article a few days before about quick breads (no yeast) and how they are usually made with fruits and sweets, but that they were great with savory fillings also. I had never thought of making a savory quick bread, but it sounded intriguing, so I decided to give it a try.

At first I thought I would make a buttermilk cheese bread. Then I decided to add onion...Then I decided to add bacon...Then I decided to caramelize the onions...Then I decided to spice it up with fresh black pepper, cayenne pepper and hot pepper sauce. (This is how my mind works when I am creating a new recipe!) I ended up making Buttermilk Onion Cheddar Bacon Bread with Sweetened Whipped Butter.

Fresh from the oven

                                  

Savory Quick Bread

         

Savory Bread, Cheese, Bacon, Onion,

         

        See Savory Quick Bread on Key Ingredient.     

    


The flavors took everyone by surprise, but it was a good surprise. I encouraged them to add the Sweet Butter to balance out the savory and everyone loved it and wanted the recipe, especially for the Sweet Butter.

                                  

Whipped Sweet Butter

         

Whipped Sweetened Butter,

         

        See Whipped Sweet Butter on Key Ingredient.     

    


It looked beautiful on the platter with the butter in the middle, Thanks Matt! I was on my way out the door as soon as it was finished and didn't get a picture before the lunch crowd hit.

This is what it looked like during the middle of lunch
There was much more than homemade soups and bread! Baked potatoes with all the toppings, fresh roasted veggies, homemade applesauce to name just a few!
Our beautiful hostess
Wiley giving papa candle blowing tips
My amazingly tall son with my beautiful sister
It is possible to get most of his tallness in a picture
Cute cousins
Such a fun afternoon! Great food! Great people! I'm not partial, but I was related to almost everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment