Friday, November 19, 2010

Easy Pasta e Figoli


Fall is such a great time to indulge in tasty soups. It took a good old dark and rainy day this week to inspire me to make some soup. Pasta Fagioli is always one of our favorite soups to make and enjoy. It smells so good while it is simmering on the stove, no one can resist lifting the lid and taking a peek.

I basically followed the recipe except for a couple of changes. I like to add V-8 along with a little broth as the base. This really enhances the flavors in the soup. I also like to add a jar of spaghetti sauce, but not just any spaghetti sauce. It has to be Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce. I used great northern beans and small red beans. As for the seasoning,  I still haven't forgiven Trader Joe's for discontinuing their fantastic Pasta Seasoning Blend, so I have to improvise. I added oregano, basil, parsley and fennel seed, slightly smashed to release the flavor. Add your own favorite seasonings. I didn't measure these spices, but I wasn't stingy!


The soup ended up simmering for about two hours, so I added more V-8 to the pot so there was plenty of liquid. I served it with a spot of grated Parmesan cheese and garlic toast and we all enjoyed it. This is one of those meals that really does taste better the next day! 


The next day, I shared some with good friends Bob and Gigi. That night, Bob ate it cold and loved it. The next day they had it warmed up for dinner and they loved it even more. I stopped by their home that day and Bob told me I won the prize for the "best soup maker." That was really nice, considering Bob is getting close to 89 years old and has eaten a lot of soup in his life! 


The recipe:


                                  

Easy Pasta e Figioli

         

Easy Pasta e Fagioli

         

        See Easy Pasta e Figioli on Key Ingredient.     

    


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment