Monday, October 11, 2010

A Princess Birthday Party

A princess named Maya turned 4 years old and what could we do but have a princess party for her! It had been a long time since I had made anything specifically girly and I had committed myself to pull this off but had no plan. I had the day of the party to prepare and I wasn't sure how I was going to make it all happen. I had a strawberry cake mix and pink and white frosting. I also had a bag of the pink melting drops and a mold that had six small tiara's on it, so I set out on a mission to find some inspiration.

I started out on a mission and headed to The Decorette Shop in Portland to look for something that might spark an idea. I left with a large bag of everything pink, but no real plan. From there I went to Michaels and found more sprinkles, but no ideas on what to do next. By this time I had traveled about 55 miles, it was almost noon, and I was starting to sweat, literally, it was a hot day! I had nothing going on "upstairs!" I decided it was time to go home and just start baking!

After baking the cake, a 40 minute field trip to Fred Meyers in Newberg for ice cream cones and another bag of everything pink that I could find, I headed back to start constructing the cake. As I was driving back, trying to keep my car from speeding, I was really beginning to think that I would still be standing there with a spatula in my hand and a crazy look on my face, trying to figure out what to do with the cake when the guests arrived! 

I'm glad that didn't happen. I was able to get a little idea and went with it! This is my very basic version of a "princess" cake.

It was actually a princess cake with a touch of circus around the outside
An indoor BBQ for dinner


The birthday girl posing with her cake
Wiley, peeking through the cake, said "Gramma, 
I want you to make me a cake like that too!"

I told him I would make one for him if he still wanted it at his birthday time next June



Lots of pink and white candles

Ivan getting a little help from his dad with his boots
The kids used up some of their energy playing Bocce
Uncle Alan was the referee
It was a fun birthday party. For the cake I frosted sugar ice cream cones and sprinkled them with pink sprinkles, turned them upside down and put a pink Whopper on top of each one. I bought the pink princess at Freddy's, washed her up and placed her on the cake. In my search for everything pink, I found the frosted circus animal cookies and decided to add them just because they were pink and white! 

It wouldn't win any awards for creativity, but the most important thing was that the birthday girl loved it! It was worth the time and miles. Now I have a huge bag of everything pink that I didn't use and it will take years to use. Actually, dear hubby has a birthday coming up next month. When I ask him what kind of cake he would like for his birthday he always says he doesn't care, what ever I want to make! You know what that means, he just might get his first princess cake! Maybe everybody will be getting their own version of a "princess" cake in the coming year for their birthday, and maybe next year too! I definitely have enough sprinkles and sparkles and everything pink!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little girl! She must have been thrilled with her cake.

    ReplyDelete