Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate Melty Smooches

Last week, Relish Magazine - Celebrating America's Love of Food, was celebrating 5,000 friends on Facebook, so Stacey created a recipe and posted it in celebration. The title alone hooked me. Who could resist "Chocolate Melty Smooches?" Not me! This recipe really caught my eye because it had only seven ingredients and I could tell from the amounts used, it would make a small batch, not dozens! And, the bake time was 8 minutes! Sounded good enough to me.

That evening, I decided to make these smooches, and after I had the dry ingredients together, I noticed that the recipe said to chill for 1 hour. That was a deal breaker for me that night. I covered the dry ingredients and relaxed with my dear hubby instead.

A day later, I was meeting one of my sisters for lunch and had plenty of time to mix them together, chilling them and baking them, so I decided that the time had come to make them. The smell when they were baking can only be described as "AMAZING."  At the end of her recipe she wrote, "Eat at least one while still warm"! What could I do, I couldn't resist, even though I would be eating lunch in two hours.

The recipe called for "self-rising flour" and I don't keep that in my pantry, so I made my own: 1 cup of Flour, 1-1/2 tablespoons of Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon Salt.

Recipe from Relish Magazine, Posted on Facebook

Chocolate Melty Smooches
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cocoa
...3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Confx Sugar

Sift flour, cocoa and salt. Cream butter 2-3 minutes, add sugar. Cream until fluffy. Add flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time. Mix well; stir in pecans. Chill 1 hour. Pat into rounds; bake 8 minutes at 325°. Sprinkle with confx sugar. Eat at least one while still warm!

I copied and pasted this post from Facebook, so it is exactly as Stacey created it. If you are on Facebook, you should become friends with Relish Magazine. They post many interesting things, good ideas and great recipes. Check them out!

I do have a couple of comments. Next time, yes, there will be a next time, I will omit the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. They were just too salty for me. I used Penzey's Spices Dutch Process Cocoa. Also, I didn't add the pecans, mostly because I didn't have any, but as smooth as they are, I'm not sure that I would add them next time either. I used a small scoop and I ended up with 17 Smooches.

After they had cooled, I packed a container for my sister. We had a great lunch together, and after lunch she wanted to try one and offered me one too. What could I do, I had to be polite!

I am warning you, these could be very addictive. When I took a bite of the warm Smoochie, (I had to, Stacey almost demanded it) it was like eating the best warm fudge ever. It was also a little bit like taking a bite of a very good lava cake. Other than that, I don't know how to explain the texture. It's all about the texture. I used a small scoop so each piece was good for 1 medium or 2 small bites, which helps a little. The main problem is, they are so easy to make, and way too good, so make with caution! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Your sister was over and we were sharing recipes. I Googled Chocolate Melty Smoochies and she says "that's Coni's kitchen in her new house." When I saw you at Misty's you were still looking, now I realize that was 5 months ago. Glad you found something!
    To pay me for doing her taxes she went home and brought me a plate of these. They won't last the evening.
    I've browsed your blog and look forward to reading more of it.

    ReplyDelete