Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fresh Ginger Cake with Lemon Butter Sauce

When I was growing up, I don't remember mom baking many cakes. When she did bake, it was usually cookies! She didn't make or buy sweet treats for us very often, so when she baked us a cake for our birthday, it was very special. There were nine of us in the family, and if you cut nine pieces of cake out of a regular sized, two tiered cake, there isn't much left over! One cake that my mom did bake, especially around the holidays, was gingerbread cake and she always made lemon sauce to drizzle on top. We always looked forward to that. The house smelled so good when there was gingerbread in the oven.

I really wanted to fill the house with the smell of gingerbread last week, so I decided to make it as the dessert for the Christmas party. I wanted smaller individual cakes for everyone. I adapted a recipe I found online that wasn't afraid to use ginger, but I guess I said "Bam" and took it to the next level with fresh minced ginger, too. If you like ginger, you will love this recipe. In my opinion, if you are making gingerbread, make it the best gingerbread possible. This is that recipe! It turned out super moist and full of ginger flavor, because in addition to the 4 ounces of fresh ginger, I also added a half a cup of minced candied ginger. That made my ginger taste buds very happy! I decided that it definitely needed some lemon sauce to balance out the flavor rush. The night before the party, we cut one in half and each had a bite dipped in lemon sauce and I was very happy!! I love ginger and I don't have a sensor that says "Too much ginger," so I needed to rely on the taste buds of those near me. That bite was a party in your mouth! I was happy with the verdict that it was fit for human consumption. I was especially happy that I didn't have to start over with a whole new dessert! 

                                  

Fresh Ginger Cake or Triple Ginger Cake

         

Gingerbread, Fresh Ginger Cake,

         

        See Fresh Ginger Cake or Triple Ginger Cake on Key Ingredient.     

    


My plan was to make lemon curd to serve alongside the gingerbread, but when I started calculating how many eggs I would need to make enough for 50 people, I decided to go with a much lighter lemon sauce. The original recipe was for ten servings, but I made the recipe for 40 servings. I used juice and rind from 7 lemons.


                                  

Lemon Butter Sauce

         

Lemon Sauce,

         

        See Lemon Butter Sauce on Key Ingredient.     

    



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment